Members of the community are welcome to attend Safety Committee Meetings. Because this is a working committee, if you are not one of the three community members who have been added to the Committee please let me know that you will be attending. If you let me know ahead of time I can make arrangements to have adequate seating, and or change to a large room. Thank you. Chuck Payant (715) 652-3070, ext. 359
Subject of next meeting: Review the Crisis Action Plan, training schedule, bomb threats, parent staging area, alternate evacuation areas, second detonations, parent notification system
Next Meeting: February 10, 2011
Time: 3:20 to 4:00 p.m.
Location: District Office
Minutes of January 11, 2011 Safety Committee Meeting
Meeting called to order 7:00 p.m.
Committee Members In attendance: Gerald Eichman – Superintendent, Andy Place –Elementary School Principal, Jim Meyer – High School Principal, Russell Anderson – Lead Custodian, Randy Thurl Golmer – Network Coordinator, Andria Bena – School Psychologist, Lucy Hess – Guidance Counselor, Chuck Payant – Finance Director
School Board Members in Audience: Cheri Dimick, Robert Haupt
This was a publicly posted meeting with two School Board member sitting in the audience. There was one teacher in attendance and six non-board or staff members in the audience. Four of the six members of the audience were from the Auburndale and Arpin Fire Departments.
The Safety Committee was introduced.
A powerpoint presentation covered the following items:
· Crisis Action Plan and changes to the plan since the recent bomb incident
· Sudden Death/Crisis Aftermath Plan
· Food Safety
· Environmental Safety
· Building and Grounds
Copies of the following safety procedures and policies were handed out, and discussed:
· Current Bomb Threat Policy
· New Bomb Threat Policy, which will go to the Policy Committee for consideration
· Emergency Procedures Guideline flip chart
The group discussed made suggestions regarding areas of safety including the following:
· More safety drills
· Concern in regard to evacuation sites, alternating sites (shelter house, etc), possibly having busses as a site, and mass panic
· Staging area for parents after an evacuation
· Role of the Fire Department during a bomb threat, including notification and being on standby
· Sending a letter home to parents explaining bomb threat procedures
· Staff and student training in safety, followed by testing of knowledge and drills
· Notification systems for emergencies and when they should be used
· Many other suggestion and comments were made
Adjourned approximately 8:20 p.m.