Wellness Committee Meeting
Minutes of February 22, 2011 meeting
Members Present: Sara Tedeschi – UW, Kristie Rauter – Wood County Health, Julie Trowbridge – parent, Karmin Bolder – parent, Kristene Schulte – parent, Dawn Urban, Gerald Eichman, Kelly Soppe, Whitney Petersen, Josh Nagel, Peggy Richardson, Vicki Krummel, Andy Place, Jim Meyer, Sharon Eckes, Lucy Hess, Sarah Learst, Kelly Drevlow, and Charles Payant
• National School Lunch (NSL) regulations will change next year. NSL Regs will require that all colored milk sold by a school be fat free and that white milk be no more than 1% in fat content. The Committee was asked if it would be acceptable to implement the new milk regulations this year. There were no objections to implementing the changes this year. The District head cook hopes that by implementing some of the NSL regulation changes this year that students will have an easier adjustment period to changes next year that will be required by the NSL Program.
• The meeting was turned over to Sara Tedeschi and Kristie Rauter to facilitate the discussion and writing of a grant. Ms. Tedeschi and Ms. Rauter explained the grant they are working with.
• Grant Name: The Communities Putting Prevention to Work Grant (CPPW)
• CPPW Grant Amount: $2.3 million
• Amount of grant available to School District of Auburndale: $40,485.00
• Ms. Tedeschi directed a SWOT analysis. The four areas of the analysis were, Farm to School, Physical Activity, Garden Greenhouse, and Competitive Foods. Strengths, weaknesses and who is at the table, were discussed for each area.
• Mr. Cournoyer explained some of the projects and activities he does with his agriculture classes and FFA. It was decided to ask Mr. Counoyer if he would be willing to attend the next Wellness Committee Meeting.
• Some of the many topics discussed were, school and private gardens, nutrition education, lunch nutrition, exercise, ala carte, milk vending machines, storage of fresh fruits and vegetables, and volunteers to help with a school garden. Americorp volunteers and taste testing in the schools was also discussed.
• Goals for the grant will be worked on at the next meeting.
Next Meeting Date: March 16, 2011, 1:30 – 3:30 p.m., High School Room 134
Thank you for attending the meeting. Please send them to me any changes or additions and I will add them to the minutes for approval at the next meeting. Chuck Payant