The primary function of the Athletic Director is to manage and oversee the district’s interscholastic athletic program.
QUALIFICATIONS: Baccalaureate degree (preferred) with administrative and/or coaching experience. Position requires a working knowledgeable of WIAA rules and regulations; good organizational and communication skills; and ability to work cooperatively with others.
REPORTS TO: Junior/Senior High School Principal and District Administrator
SUPERVISES: All Coaching Staff
1. Prepare a master budget and supervise equipment inventories.
2. Secure and file the paperwork for equipment lease requests involving the athletic department.
3. Prepare a master sports calendar that includes conference and non-conference games/events.
4. Coordinate gym, building and athletic field use with the district office and maintain the district building use calendar.
5. Coordinate gym use for practices and games and give final clearance for the use of either the gym or the athletic field.
6. Work with coaching staff and transportation supervisor to schedule all athletic departure times and provide bus supervision with trip sheets.
7. Take care of travel arrangements and overnight accommodations for players or athletic teams (and coaches) competing in postseason competition.
8. Seek and recommend suitable competition for all non-conference events/games.
9. Hire all officials for 7-12 and non-conference contests.
10. Confirm official’s contracts and all non-conference contest contracts.
11. Secure game workers for athletic contests, chain crews, announcers, clock operators, score keepers, line judges, etc. and submit the list of contacted workers for that contest to the event supervisor prior to the event.
12. Submit athletic expense request sheets for payment of officials and other workers to district office.
13. Coordinate the collection of rosters for program information as needed.
14. Act as a resource person and coordinator for all coaches.
15. Assist in supervision at home athletic contests.
16. Assist in the selection of coaches for the athletic program.
17. Evaluate all athletic programs on an annual basis. Make recommendations for improvement to the building principal and district administrator.
18. Complete an evaluation form and hold a conference with all coaches within three weeks after the conclusion of their sport season.
19. Mediate the resolution of problems, issues, and concerns that may arise between coaches and athletic programs.
20. Provide a channel through which students and the community may express their concerns about an athletic program.
21. Provide for in-service of coaching staff as needed.
22. Disseminate WIAA materials and enforce WIAA rules and regulations, including player eligibility.
23. Collect, file, and notify athletes and coaches regarding student eligibility as it pertains to the WIAA physical cards and athletic code of conduct.
24. Collect and maintain on file a properly completed physical card or alternate year physical card for every student participating in athletics.
25. Distribute athletic training rules yearly to all athletic participants. Collect and maintain on file a signed copy of student letters of intent.
26. Administer the school athletic code in a fair and consistent manner that is within the intent of the code.
27. Ensure district adherence to all WIAA and district policies, administrative rules, procedures, and codes relating to and participation in athletics.
28. Help with the organization of Sports Medicine Program provided by the Marshfield Clinic.
29. Coordinate the ordering of letter jackets, distribution of letters, chevrons, captain stars, etc.
30. Order Post season awards for each program.
31. Attend monthly athletic conference meetings.
32. Perform other duties as assigned.
Approved: December 19, 2007